Monday, March 8, 2021

March's Challenge: Simplicity in Eating

  

Simple meal, asparagus, salmon and shrimp
cooked in butter, salt and lime zest, juice.

Continuing our challenge for March, simplifying life, this week's focus is on simplifying our food.

As a health coach, one of the things I notice, is clients and the world over complicating eating habits.
You have to weigh, measure, have iron clad discipline and will power to not over eat, eat this and that together, not this and that together, combine this, eat this time to this time, but don't eat after this time, or before this time, then jump three times, stand on your head, wiggle your ears, say the magic words, eat the secret foods and if you aren't confused enough, my magic secret bullet will get you there. Watch some hour long video, that doesn't tell you anything, confuses you more and then ask you to buy my program, because you can't find health without me, because I have made it SOOOO complicated. 

 
How many of us through our hands in the air and say, I am confused and don't know what to eat, everyone contradicts each other, I am not going to try. I will eat whatever. In all honesty, with all my education and years of experience, when I hear some of these things, I feel the same way, confused and overwhelmed.

For myself and my clients, I strive to keep things simple. Simplify eating. 
The first step, begin eating more whole, real food.
This begs the question, what is real food? 

A list of real food
Notice, there isn't anything from a box, manufactured.
It was all living and growing. 

The second step, prioritizing animal protein and fats at the base of your eating habits. 
Choose foods from the list above and eat them abundantly. When you are hungry, truly hungry, obey your brilliant body and nourish it with food. When full, stop.

The third step, keep meal preparation simple. Foods that are in season, local, pastured taste amazing and don't need a lot done to them. Find those seasonings, herbs, spices, simple preparations you enjoy and make those. Keep the ingredients stocked in your pantry and fridge. You can always put a meal together quickly this way.

For example, I love limes and salt. I cook a lot of meat in this combination, beef, pork, chicken, fish, they are all tasty in this combination. I cook in butter and drizzle olive oil on top for extra fat and flavoring. Depending on what I am making, I might add other spices or herbs to the mix, but the base is the same, lime zest and juice and salt. Veggies are great in this mixture as well. Simple and easy. 
I have put the work in up front, finding ways I enjoy cooking, flavors I enjoy together. The pay off, meals are much simpler to make and rotate through.

How confused are you about eating?
If you need any help with your food, please reach out.

Inspiring growth
Jenn 

No comments:

Post a Comment