Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Cook Once, Save Money, Eat Multiple Meals

The whole chicken I grilled the other night
Cooking once, eating multiple meals and saving money, something we all want and need these days with busy lives and everything more expensive. Here are a few tips I have picked up and incorporated into our lives over the years.

Cooking:
When I am preparing meals for the week, I try to have some that will have left overs so my Hubby has lunches for the work week and me, when I eat lunch. Or, I cook extra meat if there will not be left overs.
Most of the time, it is the protein that takes the most time to cook and prepare. So, why not do more of it at once, either for left overs for lunches or another dinner? Making enough for lunches is an easy way to save money and eat healthier.
When you are cooking one chicken breast, steak, pork, it is easy to cook another to take for lunch with a salad.
Cooking a whole chicken is another great way to go and they are usually cheaper. Cook the chicken, eat dinner, take left overs, take all the extra and freeze it or use it for another meal later that week. The hard part of cooking the meat is already done. While you are cooking one, why not cook two or three chickens? It might take another 10-15 minutes to cook, but will save you hours later because the meat is already cooked. Then, use the bones and make broth.
It just takes a little up front planning, but that planning will save you time, money and heart ache later .

For shopping:
There is the look at the add, and I think this can be a good idea. But what I find even better is just going to the store you frequent. And you find a managers special, or the deal of the week, whatever your store happens to call it. This is meat, or produce, they are usually selling at almost coast to them, be sure to stock up on this meat. Wrap it well, identify it, I either leave the tag in it or put a sticky note in the bag so I know what is in it, or I forget and freeze it.
Look for the meat that is about to expire, it is identified some how with a reduced price on it. I have found some great look meat this way and saved money. You need to either use this meat right away or freeze quickly so it does not go bad.
Another great idea, is to buy a half, whole beef, pig, bison, whatever your like and amount you can afford and have room for. You can usually find higher quality meat this way.
Use the cuts of meat others do not normally like, especially the organs and bones.


I made bone broth with the carcuse and juices

I hope this helped at least some.
Saving the world one stick of butter at a time.
God bless,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment