Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Oil Pulling, All it is Cracked Up To Be?


I am sure you are hearing and see this all over the place, oil pulling for your teeth. This is something I learned about several years ago, however, I started pulling about two months ago. Most of my clients and others I talk with, think I changed my lifestyle and health all at once and that is it. Nothing could be further from the truth. My healthy lifestyle has been a journey and continues to be a journey. I did not changed everything all at once. I make changes when it works for me and I am ready to add in another healthy option, oil pulling is the perfect example.

What is oil pulling?
Simply, it is taking 1-2 tsp of oil, usually coconut oil, what I use, and swishing it in your mouth for 20 minutes. Spit it out into a trash can, DO NOT swallow. Rinse the mouth well and then brush your teeth.

It is really simple. It does take time, but there are some tricks to help with that. But, why do it? Here are some of the supposed health benefits:

  • Oral health
  • Gum and teeth health
  • Prevents plaque build up
  • Whiten teeth
  • Detoxes the body
  • Reduce headaches
  • Strengthens the jaw 
  • Help fight fatigue 
  • Helps with sleep issues
  • Hormonal balance
  • Heart health
  • Decreases allergies
  • Among many other things

There has not been any solid studies done on this to verify any of this. With that being said, why do it?
Everything in the body is connected. If your mouth is not healthy, it can cause a mirrored of health issues in the rest of the body. It is worth taking care of your mouth, for this reason.

My results:
My mouth has not ever been so clean. Plaque does not build up on my teeth, my teeth are whiter, and over all, my mouth is healthier.
I like to add a drop of peppermint oil as well, nice minty clean fresh breath and mouth.
Even if I do not see many of the other health benefits of oil pulling, I will continue to do it for the cleaner teeth and striving to take care of my over health.

For the best results, you are suppose to swish for 20 minutes first thing in the morning. I just do it when I take a shower. It does not mean this is first thing in the morning, it is when it works for me and that is when I shower, whatever time that is. At the end of the day, this is when you need to do, when you will do it. If the timing does not work for you, you will not do it, so then you do not have the benefits. This goes for anything, oil pulling, working out, down time, you have to do it when you will do it. Figure out that time and give it a try. Let me know how you like it.

If you would like more information about oil pulling, here is a book:
Oil Pulling Therapy, Detoxifying and Healing the Body Through Oral Cleansing 

Saving the world one stick of butter at a time.
God bless,
Jenn


No comments:

Post a Comment