Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tuesday Recipe: Rhubarb and Brussels Sprouts


If you ask my family, they will tell you I come up with some really weird recipes. If you ask my older brother, he will tell you I make some "extremely weird shit." From the title of this recipe, I am sure you will agree with them! Do not worry, I will not feel bad.

Here is how this recipe came together. I was at the grocery store about two weeks ago doing my weekly shopping. I knew I needed a veggie of some sort to go along with a dinner or two and just did not know what I wanted to make. I thought while I am at the store and see what they have, I will decide on something. Well, then I walked past where the Brussels Sprouts were and thought those sound good, but what to do with them. That is when the light bulb light, I saw the rhubarb! How perfect, Brussels sprouts and rhubarb, they will be yummy together. Weird I know. Here is what I came up with.

What you need for 2 servings:
Several strips of bacon, 2-3, sliced
1 good size rib of rhubarb
About 1/2 pound of Brussels sprouts, I did the sprouts and rhubarb about equal portions
1 tsp raw honey or to taste, but do not go over board
1/2 fresh lemon juice
Big dash of nutmeg
Dash of Allspice
Salt and pepper to taste
Butter or bacon grease

What to do:
Cut bacon into slices, about 1/4 inch
Cute the rhubarb into slices, 1/4 inch
Cute Brussels sprouts. Cute off end, slice in half, if large cute in half again, quarters.

Heat pan over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook. You want to render the fat out of the bacon, but not crispy. The bacon will cook longer with the rest of the veggies.
Once the fat has been rendered, add the Brussels sprouts. Let them get color on all sides, browned. Once browned, add the rhubarb. Don't cook the rhubarb for too long, it becomes mushy. It will only take a few minutes to cook, 1-2 minutes.
Add the nutmeg, allspice and honey, toss to coat everything.
Squeeze the lemon over everything, give it a good toss and it is ready to serve.

I have made this as a side for fish, tilapia and salmon, and chicken. All very tasty.

I know it sounds really weird, but trust me, it is delicious!

Saving the wold one stick of butter at a time!
Blessings,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment