Monday, August 15, 2011

Primal vs. Traditional

What do you think of when you here of a Primal diet? Or a Traditional one for that matter? Are they the same or very different? What do they entail?
Well, considering Hublet and I eat a Primal/Traditional diet I thought I would give my interpretation of what the diets consist of and how we blend them.
As a side note, I am not perfect, nor do I eat a perfect diet all time. Generally I would say I follow my way of eating about 90-95% of the time, if not more. Yes, there are times I eat things that are not the healthiest.
Lets begin with the differences.
A Primal diet:
No grains, oats, barley, things of this nature, this includes breads, pasta, cereals, and such. What the CDT, the common death trap, says you are suppose to eat the most of. The other big thing is no dairy.
A Traditional diet:
A Traditional diet is from the work of Dr. Weston Price. There are grains, in the form of sprouted whole wheat. This involves consuming the whole wheat berry, not one part as grains are consumed today. This is done though at the bottom part of your food consumption, not the top. Dairy is consumed, in the form of whole raw milk and its products.
This is opposite of each other, I know. You might be wondering how I can blend therm. Well, lets discus their similarities. 
Both diets are all about consuming real food, no processed foods. The best part, lots of animal fat along with some other fats! Butter, cream, eggs, the fat on your meat, bacon, nuts, seeds, coconut in all cold pressed forms along with the flour, olive oil and the likes. Along with veggs and some fruit. Lots of real food and delicious food at that. How much better could assorted veggies be loaded with real butter, dripping in butter for that matter. Could not be better.
The way I combine these two is very simple. I consume all the real foods, the animal fats as well as the good and healthy other fats, more on these later, along with the vegetables and fruit. I also drink whole raw milk, love it, crave it in fact. For my other dairy products, I can not purchase them raw, unfortunately and I do not have the time or make the time to make them from the raw milk. Cheese, yogurt, sour cream and regular cream, I do buy, being mindful that they do not contain rBGH, a bovine growth hormone, and that the cows are free range and pastured feed as often as possible. I do purchase the full fat varieties, need my fat.
However, I do not very often consume grains. I have a gluten intolerance. When I eat to much grain, it rips my stomach apart. Maybe when I have more time, I will buy organic wheat berries, soak and sprout them and then ferment them before making bread, this helps to take out the gluten, But for know, I stick with little to no grains. We will discus the benefits of no grains in the next post.
Well, that is a good start.
Until next time, the blessings of Christ be with you.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment